Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Calling

As a teenager I wanted to be in professional ministry. I heard speakers again and again talk about the greatest honor in life is to be called by God into professional ministry. I wanted to be so honored, and I waited for the call. But it never came.

So I waited while in college. And it still didn’t come. Then I just wanted a calling in life. So I asked again, but I didn’t find one. Again and again I asked Him. I read the Bible, I prayed, I tried reading “the signs”, I did Bible studies, and the calling still didn’t come. Years passed by and I lost the zeal for a calling and settled for mere existence.
But God didn’t want me to merely exist. He brought me to a place where I depended on Him. He brought me to a place where it no longer mattered that I had no calling. He brought me to a place where I desired Him, and I just was focused on Him. That’s when I received His calling. No, I wasn’t called to be in professional ministry; I am called to be a writer. So as I sit in my home with a keyboard under my fingers, I can now repeat the words of the Prophet Isaiah and say, “Here I am Lord, send me.”

1 comment:

  1. You also have a young family to care for, too. You have a mighty calling on your life, Steph.

    ReplyDelete