Monday, August 17, 2009

Nothing Can Stop God's Love

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,
neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth,
nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of
God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38 – 9 NIV



I won't ever be able to forget the events of that April day because it changed our family’s life forever. It was the day before my son’s second birthday, and we went to see the pediatrician because he had a limp after falling off a bed. We wanted to make sure that he was okay to play at McDonald’s PlayPlace on his birthday. But we never made it to McDonald’s PlayPlace because my son was in surgery on his birthday. As it turns out, the limp was not because he fell off a bed; it was because he had leukemia.

During the early days of my son’s leukemia journey, which we are still fighting (his type is a 3 – 3 1/2 year treatment), we sometimes sat holding his frail body, hoping and praying he would make it through the night. Then we had other problems, such as not being able to pay bills because I had to quit my job to take care of my son. We almost had our car repossessed and our electricity and water turned off because we didn’t have money. But those seemingly insurmountable problems never separated us from God’s love. In fact, He used those instances to demonstrate his love for us in tangible ways.

Of course God’s love is also apparent when things are going well. There have been times during my son’s battle with leukemia, where my son doesn’t even seem like he’s sick (such as now). God uses these instances to demonstrate His love for us too. Sometimes He has done this in tangible ways like letting me go to the Faithwriters conference when I had no money. Other times it has been revealing truth to me that I need or just a “spiritual hug” for no reason.

Romans 8:38 – 9 talks about this very concept. Nothing separates us from God’s love, and He never has failed to fulfill His word. His love has surrounded our family when everything was going well, and His love penetrated us when things were going horribly wrong. So I am certain whatever the future brings us, good or bad, God’s love will accompany us through the situation.

This post is a part of Monday Manna hosted by Joanne Sher on her blog An Open Book at http://joannesher.blogspot.com/ There you can fine Joanne's and other blogger's thoughts on the same Scripture used here, Romans 8:38 - 9.

2 comments:

  1. What a journey - and God has been SO faithful. Thank you so much, Stephanie, for sharing your testimony, and for participating in Monday Manna. Thank you for this reminder of His presence in good times AND bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From someone who also learned this lesson in the storm, well done.

    ReplyDelete