Thursday, August 20, 2009

Before the Season Ends by Linore Rose Burkard


For my first book review I want to use Before the Season Ends by Linore Rose Burkard. Linore was a speaker at a recent Faithwriters conference in Livonia, Michigan that I attended, and she inspired me to start this blog and to start writing book reviews.
Before the Season Ends is written in Regency England (don't worry, I didn't know what the Regency Era was before reading this book either). The narration is reminiscent of Jane Austen, who lived and wrote books during that same time period. For those of us who have never read Austen before this book, it takes a chapter or two to fully get used to the narration used, which I call omniscient. But it is totally worth it.
Linore Burkard describes the clothing and setting in very good detail, yet it is not drawn out or flowery. In fact, Before the Season Ends is fast paced. All the chapters are written so that you want to read the next one. I stayed up until 3:30 a.m. reading, and was reluctant to put the book down when I realized how late it was.
Because Before the Season Ends is a Christian or an Inspirational book, there are some Christian themes in the book. Ariana Forsythe, the main character, is not shy about discussing her beliefs and talking to others about their beliefs. However, neither Ariana nor the tone of the book comes off as preachy (I have stopped reading a good Christian book before because they were preaching at me through their characters).
Before the Season Ends is full of romance and innocence. It left me wistful for times gone by, yet many of the themes presented are applicable for our world today. I am eager to read Linore Rose Burkard's second book in the series called The House in Grosvenor Square, which is already on bookshelves in stores or online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble. And I hope to post a review of it soon.
You can read the first chapter by clicking on this link. Excerpt PDF from "Before the Season Ends"

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Stephanie! Good for you on starting book reviews at your blog. Looking forward to your next one!

    ReplyDelete